This course offers a summary of relevant developments during the last twelve months and considers the practical implications for the busy commercial practitioner.
Topics will include:
(i) Commercial Contracts
A summary of important recent decisions:
- Contract formation – can you make a contract standing in a bus shelter?
- Liquidated damages – what provisions are acceptable to a court?
- Implied terms – can an implied term turn an incomplete bargain into a binding contract?
- Good faith – what is the courts’ latest thinking on implied duties of good faith?
(ii) Consumer Law
The most topical issue is the EU New Deal for Consumers which is due to be finalised in 2019 with a planned implementation date of 2021. Key issues include:
- Amendments to the rules on distance contracts
- Enhanced rights for consumers
- Increased fining powers for enforcement bodies
(iii) Data Protection
A year has passed since GDPR came into force and the most topical issues are:
- What does Brexit mean for data protection?
- How likely is it that we can be sued for compensation?
- What enforcement action has taken place to date?
To book, order a recording or for more information please fill in the form, or call us on 01904 635 444